Friday 8 February 2013

Tennagers Bedroom - Furniture Construction

Once I was happy with the base room I started to model the furniture for which I check the scale with the empty room model first to make sure everything was going to look right once completed.

 Bed Construction - This was made from balsa wood and lolly pop sticks.

 I also decided to make a mattress, sheet and duvet as I wanted the bed to be really messy as it would be in a typical teenagers bedroom. I am really pleased with how the mattress turned out as it is a really good representation of a real one. For this I cut a piece of foam to size, covered in cross stitch material then sewed around the outside to give a rim and finally pulled in bits to give the dips in the surface of the mattress.

For the sheet I sowed a thin piece of elastic around the edge to make it into a fitted sheet. For the duvet I made the rectangle shape and placed cotton wool within. However when I came to making it messy I believe I filled it too much as was a bit stiff and podgy preventing me from making it as messy as I wanted it to be. To sort this I tacked the duvet into a messy position which worked quite well. 

Bedside Table Construction - this was made from balsa wood. I made it so the drawer could be moved in or out just to make it more realistic. To finish it off I added the end of a pin for the handle and a coffee stain on the surface.
Wardrobe Construction - This was also made from balsa wood. I made the frame quite strong to enable the drawers to function properly and enable me to make the doors pivot open and close by placing a pin down from the top and up from the bottom; this worked really well enabling me to open the doors slightly so the messy inside would be visible.

Desk Construction - Lastly I created a corner desk with bookshelf. As this teenager was into computers, TV and gaming I decided to have a section raised up for the TV enabling the Xbox to be placed underneath. I also cut a section out of back to enable the wires to go down to the sockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment