Saturday 9 February 2013

Cart Model - Construction

Below are some photos of how I created the Cart:

Cart Body - For this section of the cart I used fimo as I wanted to create a worn battered cart, therefore by using fimo I was able to model it then once cooked I could chip bits off etc without it cracking. To keep the walls of the cart upright while cooking I used thin aluminium sheet, which I bent and cut to the correct height. This worked really well and also enable the lip to rest upon it preventing it from sagging too. Once cooked and set I cut off the excess material, made it worn/dented and added ridges on the inside of the cart. 


Wheels - I basically used the same technique as I used for the tricycle as it worked really well, however from learning that the inner sections had to be the perfect size to fit within I decide to make the wheel and inner section all one, by using a circle cutter to give a dent separating the two. This was then painted and rims added. This was definitely an easier method of creating the wheels.

Handle Mechanism -For the handle pole I used a 0.3mm aluminium rod, which I attached to the same type of rod bent into a 'u' shape. Both of the edges of the 'u' were then attached to two separate 0.5mm aluminium tubing; these tubes will rotate upon a 0.3mm aluminium rod and held in place by fimo washers that don't prevent it from rotating. A 0.5mm piece of tubing is attached to the non-rotating 0.3 rod and the main twisting component . As this handle will be used to turn the front wheel section I added milliput to strengthen the join.

Handle - This was made from fimo with a large enough hole in the middle for it to fit over a 0.5mm tube (flag support pole on the back of the tricycle)


Underneath Supports -The main pivot point for the front section is a 0.8mm aluminium rod, which is firmly attached to the underside of the cart. On this is the large black section made from fimo that is the main component that rotates upon the fixed rod, to prevent this from working its way off the rod, I made a fimo washer keeping it on.
Attached to this black component are the two arches for which the wheel pivot pole will be fed through and allowed to rotate. For these I securely fitted them into a vice and hammered the ends over until they were at the right angle, then hammered the ends flat to get a big enough area to drill a hole through.

Once I had made all the parts and little components I laid them out in an exploded diagram view to make sure I had everything and to help me plan the order of which I was going to assemble everything together.


Once all the underneath parts had been assembled I check to see that everything worked as it should e.g. front wheel section rotated, wheels rotated freely and the handle pivoted up and down. Thankfully everything worked properly.


Adding More Support -After seeing everything together I saw a problem straight away; with only the middle beam attached to the cart body, the body would be unsteady. If this was a real cart and heavy items were place on one side the cart body would lean over and probably break. To fix this I added to the design some cross beams to add more support; this can be seen below:
 For these beams I used 0.7mm aluminium tubing hammered gently so one side was flat (which would be attached to the underneath of cart body) both ends were flat and in the middle where it meats the middle beam so it is a flat surface for the cart body to be attached to, as can be seen below:


Finishing Touches - To show how the wheel section was attached to the cart body I added nuts and bolts on the cross beams underneath and nails in the cart. The entire cart was then made dirty with paint and mud, with added rust where the nails were just to make it more realistic and to fit in with the tricycles appearance. I also added a little hook on the back for items to be tied to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment